NFPA is gathering information regarding kinship care and needs your help.
If you have any information regarding the following questions, please contact Jan Wagner, NFPA's Kinship sub-committee chair, at wagnerjan(at)live.com. You can also leave a comment here and we'll get it to Jan.
Don't forget to tell us your state!
- Are relatives in your state encouraged to become licensed or are they told to seek guardianship or other less formal arrangements?
- Are relative families supported in any way by the state such as with special guardianship/kinship subsidies, even if they are not licensed foster families?
- Are there specific state policies and procedures for relative families? (send us a link!)
- Are kinship families informed of free, accessible trainings and parenting support for children at risk?
- Is there a Navigator program in place where families can obtain information on services, benefits, trainings and information sharing?
- Are the unique needs of kinship families being recognized by the state?
- How can NPFA reach out and support kinship families?